Saturday, April 12, 2008

The "Behind the Scenes" Guys

During the making of my album “2forty6”, I was fortunate to have my talented friends contribute to some of my tracks. During mixing and listening to the performances of Rick Boston, Fred Mandel, Eric Gotthelf, Paul Lacques, and Eddie Baytos,, I was struck by how much their interpretations had enriched the songs they touched. This was not as much a surprise as it was again a reminder of the importance of the “behind the scenes guys”. For many years, I myself was one of them performing as a studio and touring drummer for many talented artists. My musical journey found me in the company of Burton Cummings, Randy Bachman, Janis Ian, The Beach Boys, Bo Diddley etc. Their impact upon me as human beings and musicians was and still is profound. These talented artists have merited the acknowledgement and respect they have received over the years,. Anything I might add about them would certainly be redundant. My experience with them will inspire me forever.

I want to take a moment to pay homage to the other “stars” that have graced the studios and the concert stages. The ones who have “backed up” the great artists elevating them to even greater heights. These players, engineers, songwriters, producers and vocalists deserve notice as well. They may be unkown to you, some you may have heard of, others have celebrity in their own right as soloists and artists. I have had the honour of working with them, and becoming friends with many of them. You may have heard their songs, their mixes, their performances and their productions on records and CD’s, in movies, on television, in concert, on radio and iPods. If you don’t know them, Google them, and add to your lexicon of music history.

I list these greats here in no particular order as they come to mind. My apologies if I’ve missed a few. You know who you are. You know where I live!.

Rick Boston, Eric Gotthelf, Jeff Berlin, Ian Gardiner,Rick Moors, Simeon Pilitch, Norm Fisher, Igor Romanyck, Jimmy Roberts, Chris Hall, Arvo Lepp, Eric “Hap” Roderman, Rob Piltch, Lenny Castro, Fred Mandel, Ed Cherney, Marc Jordan, John Capek, Laura Creamer, Alan Gordon, Arte Funaro, Ciro Baptista Ciari, Kevan Staples, Carole Pope, Paul Lacques, Mike Tempo, Phil Gough, King Cotton, Dusty Wakeman, Boo Bernstein, Shirley Eikhardt, Jack Price, Berton Averre, David Schwartz, The Porcaros, Jim Keltner,Terry Melcher,John Bavin,Stan Meisner. Lisa Dal Belo,Warren Pash,Jimmy Woods, Richard Wolf, David Malloy, Rocky Burnette, Billy Burnette, Craig Fall, Menno Froese, Gregory Marchant, Tad Wadhams, Bobby Lakind, Donny Gerard, Carl Graves, Debra Dobkin, Patrick Coutin, Tony Braunagle, Jerry Angel, Jean Pierre Morgand, Jean Marc Despert, Bruno Mylanos, Bertrand Beuf, Laurent Prado, Ted Hawke, Alain Perusini, Michel Kyriazopoulos, Kim Bullard, Nicolas Albingre, Larry Knight, Steve Hunter, Christophe Garreau and so many others.. Again, forgive me for any omissions.

Like a solid foundation they all steadfastly support the towering edifice called MUSIC. The only true universal language without barriers or discrimination. It touches all of us. It is the soundtrack of our lives. A jukebox of emotions and memories. Cruising with an iPod slolaming the speed bumps of life.. To all the artists and all the “behind the scenes” men and women who enrich the world we live in. Cheers and thank you.
Peace…..

No comments: